Tuesday, November 29, 2016

The Next New Thing

We have seen new media being utilized in almost all aspects of modern life. Simple things like going out to eat has new media integrated through websites such as yelp.com. With the introduction of virtual reality to consumers in recent times, new media has an infinite amount of potential to grow and expand.

Often times the next new thing in new media isn't a brand new invention, but how to make old things newer. Companies like Uber and Lyft did this by making an old practice of hailing a cab easier and more convenient for users. One area that I feel has not been touched by new media is parking. In NYC especially, it is next to impossible to find a parking spot. I think that if the old practice of looking for a parking spot utilizes new media it can be made so much easier and less of a headache for people.

If new media is utilized for which spaces or available or who is entering or leaving a parking area, people can see beforehand how many parking spots are open in the area. This can allow people looking for parking spots to move on to a different area to look elsewhere.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Young,

    I love your new "new media" idea. I actually wish this was a real thing so I can use it myself.I definitely understand the struggle of finding a parking spot especially in populated areas like NYC. I think this new media would save a lot time and it would just make life that much easier!

    -Sophie Leung

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Young, in a city where traffic takes up most part of the day leading up to peak hours, with an app such as that you suggested seems to be a practical solution to a real struggle for people who drives on a regular basis. As a witness of what a struggle it is to look for a free parking space after a rough day, it can be very frustrating as well as exhausting in fighting over an open spot. In a city where most people drive, even parking lots are full resulting in higher prices due to high demand. It would be relieve to have an app to solve this issue and help drivers on a regular basis to save time at the end of a long day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Young,

    This is absolutely a great idea for me. The working location of my husband and I are in Manhattan. We go to work by car every day. However, we have to find a parking space before work every morning. In addition, we waste a lot of time for looking for a parking space. If this was true it would help me to save my time and money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Young,

    I really love this idea. There is a company that created an app where you can reserve a seat at a bar or restaurant without having to enter the location. It uses your location in order to give you a proper wait time. I believe that this same technology should be used with parking. For example, you should be able to reserve certain spots for certain periods of time.

    ReplyDelete